Water Wells

Installing, Repairing or Replacing a Water Well

Many homes in rural areas are not connected to a municipal water system, but instead have a private well for their daily water supply.  When installing, repairing or replacing a well, the owners will need to hire a Licensed Well-Pump Contractor for existing wells and a Licensed Well-Driller for a new or replaced well.

Typically, the contractor will complete the Water Well Permit Application, with your assistance, and submit the permit application to the Sangamon County Health Department for you.

Once the application is submitted, the health department will review the plans and work with the contractor to reach an approval within 7 – 10 business days.

For questions regarding water wells please call and speak with one of our environmental inspectors at 217-535-3145.

Sangamon County-Code of Ordinances